October 11, 2014

Overcoming Adversity with a Smile

I am thinking philosophically this morning. I woke up early, but instead of getting up and getting started on my day, I ended up falling back to sleep for another hour and a half. Normally, I wouldn't think anything of doing that, but today, I happen to have a full schedule of things that "must be done." I guess my body needed the sleep -- well -- I know my body needed the sleep. I have been burning the candle at both ends (as the axiom goes), and my body is starting to react to the lack of sleep and the ongoing pressure to maintain this heavy pace.

I don't know how much longer I can keep up with this pace. I need a break, a nice long break, but there is no "break" in sight for at least another month. I am trusting the Lord to provide for me, to keep my head in the game, and to help me complete all the tasks assigned to me. Still the workload is getting to me, and I am feeling my "50-something" body start to complain loudly that it is being pushed to the limit. Oh, to be 25 again! Yes, I would welcome the energy, the zest, and the ability of that 25 year old "me!"

Sometimes I think, well I ask, the Lord why He waited so long to bring all this "good" into my life. Why Lord? Why now?

I know the answer, of course. His answer to me is always "I know you well" or "You were not ready." In truth, He does know me well. He knows my days and my hours. He knows my coming and my going (Psalm 139.2). He knows exactly what I can and cannot handle.

I take comfort in that thought, in the knowledge that the Lord knows my limits. Yet, there are days like today when I think He must have forgotten that I am almost 52 years old (on the 18th), and that my body doesn't do well without plenty of sleep. Lord, you do remember my age, don't you? (I hear him whisper to me "Yes, I know your age. I have you well-covered!")

Today is a good day. It is a good day to be alive and to be well. I am struggling with being overly tired, so tired that it becomes difficult to keep my eyes open. Yet, I have much work to do, and the deadlines are hard and fixed, they cannot be moved. I have to push through and keep on going, I cannot rest until I complete these tasks. Once I am done, then I will rest, then I will relax, then I will find restoration.

Today is a good day to be alive and well. It is a good day to be used by the Lord for His purpose and for His glory.

No comments: