December 8, 2014

Contemplation Today

Today is a good day. It is a good day to praise the Lord, and to meditate upon the blessedness of His word. Today is a day when it is good and proper to consider the blessings and the bounty of the Lord's provision. Yes, today I am giving thanks to the One who has saved me, who has sanctified me, and who has secured my eternal destination.  I give thanks to the Lord God, the Holy One, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Yes, my praise, my honor, and my testimony is set for Him and Him alone. Amen, so be it, thy will be done. Selah (pause and calmly think about it!)

For whatever reason, Psalm 1 has bubbled up in my mind today. I was thinking about blogging, about what I should write today, and this is the Psalm that came to me. I love the Psalms -- they are my favorite part of Scripture. I read the Psalms most days. I used to read them twice a day, but with school and work, I find that I don't always get to do that regularly. Still the years of reading through the Book of Psalms has paid off because I remember so many of them, not perfectly as in recitation, but bits and pieces of them, and they comfort me, they calm me, and they call to me when I need them most. It is a blessedness of the Holy Spirit that the Word of God lives deep within my soul, that I remember the Word during hard times or when I am stressed. Yes, the Word of God dwells within me richly, it edifies my soul, it brings me wisdom and understanding, and most of all, it brings to me the reward of knowing my Lord and His Word well. I love the WORD and I love the study of the WORD.

Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. Col. 3:16

As I think about my life, as I consider my days, Psalm 1 stands out for me. The Psalmist writes,

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

Read the words -- blessed is the one -- who does the following:
  • Doesn't walk with the wicked, stand with the sinners, sits with mockers (slanderers)
  • Delights in the Law of the Lord
  • Meditates on it day and night

Why? Because those who follow or do not follow the instruction set forth will reap the following reward...

Those that follow will:
  • Prosper in every area of their life
  • They will be firmly planted, deeply rooted
  • Bring forth fruit in season
  • Will not wither (die early)
  • They are watched over by the Lord
  • Their way is righteous

Those that do not follow:
  • They are liked dried up chaff that is blown away by the wind
  • They will not survive judgement
  • They will not be counted among the righteous
  • Their path leads to destruction

Yes, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer (Ps. 19:14).

The Lord is good to me, so very good to me. He watches over me, He leads me and He counsels me. He directs my steps, and He gives me good success. My way prospers, and my life is righteous (not on my own, but only through Christ). He gives to me good things, and He provides for my every need. He is good, so very good.  All the time, the Lord is GOOD.

Today I am determined to finish my work, to finish my semester at ACU and GCU with grace, with humility, and with dedication to my students and their academic success. Today, I look to the Lord for His provision so that I can continue to teach, continue to study, and continue to be trained in the way of His Word, His Way, and His will. Yes, today I am committed to seeking Him first (Matt. 6:33). 

The Word says it this way (NLT):

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

I desire nothing else but to do the Lord's work, to live and walk in His way, and to conform in all areas of my life to His will. I am ready to be that person, that individual, that believer who lives out the Word of the Lord, who does as Psalm 1 instructs, and who experiences the continual blessed state of living righteously within the security and stability of the Lord's way. To me, there is no other way, no other desire, no other THING than to serve the Lord, to follow Him in every area of my life, and to submit fully to His will. I surrender my desires, my needs, my wants, my heart and my head in order to go where He is sending me. I long to do what He is calling me to do. I long in my heart with a passion and a deep desire to fulfill His calling. I long for the time when I will be able to be fully immersed in His work, to taste and see the Goodness of the Lord as it is spread throughout the land of the living. May the Lord be praised today and forevermore. May the Lord have His way in me, and may His will come to pass in my life! Selah!


It is a good day to give praise to the Lord. It is a good day to see the hand of the Lord as He moves in and through my life. It is a good day to know that my Savior lives, that He is seated on Heaven's Throne, and that He is Sovereign. There is no fear that has taken me -- for He has overcome sin and death -- and His perfect love casts out all fear (1 John 4:18). I am ready, Lord. I am ready to do your work, to seek you diligently, and to open all the doors that you stand before and call me to walk through. May I do what you ask me today. May I live my life righteously and with honor and integrity. May my words be uplifting and encouraging. May my testimony bring you praise and glory. May I seek the lost, seek those with deep hurt and wounds, and may I bring your healing touch into their lives so that they too may taste and see that you are GOOD.

Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! Psalm 34:8 (NLT)

My Lord, I surrender all to you this day. I wait upon you and I look up.

No comments: