February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day


“And over all these virtues put on love, 
which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:14


It is February 14, and it is Valentine's Day. As I sit here at my bedroom window, I look outside and think what a great day it is to be alive and to be well. The Lord has provided such a great life for me. My heart is filled with awe as I consider all that He has done for me. I am saved. I am secure. I have a future filled with possibility and with hope. I am well, healed, and whole. My days are numbered, but they are within His keeping. I have the freedom to go wherever He sends me, to live my life in accordance with His will, and to dream, to imagine, and to anticipate GOOD things, all given from the blessed Father's hand. I am good, I am graced, and I give glory to God the Father for the blessing, the mercy, and the love He has shown toward me this good day. Amen! Selah!


It is such a good day today. I cannot even begin to share what is on my heart and mind, but suffice it to say, I am feeling extra-special and joyful this very good day.

I woke up after a rather fitful sleep, startled by the sound of my cat, Ike, as he toppled off the fish tank and slammed against the bedroom wall. He was unhurt, and thank goodness, the fish food container lid didn't come off (oh, what a mess that would have been!) The crash was enough to jolt me from my sleep, and the disarray on the floor caused me to jump out of bed to attend to his needs, and that of Lenny (my fish). In all, no damage was done except for Ike's pride. Yeah, he had that "I meant to do that " look on his face as he landed on the carpet. The fish tank remained positioned securely on top of my dresser, no water was spilled, and other than some major sloshing around inside, Lenny seemed unfazed by the disturbance. All in all -- it was a laughable, albeit unpleasant way to wake up today.

Today is D-Day minus 2. I have today and tomorrow to complete two major assignments for my Regent courses. I also have about 50 student essays to grade, but I am going to deal with those tomorrow and Monday (I have the day off). God is good to me, and I am so thankful that I have a day off next week. I should have everything caught up, Praise the Lord, and that means that I should be able to head into the next four weeks with gusto and gumption, pressing on toward the blessed Spring Break (March 16-22)!

I am fortunate to have a quiet house today. Although my Mom and son are home, there is not much going on right now. I am sure my Mom would like to do some shopping, but because of my workload today, I am bound to the computer. I don't mind, really. I am happy to have this day all to myself. In a little bit, I am going to get myself dressed (yes, still in PJs), and then close my bedroom door and start writing my two papers. I want to get as much done as possible today, so that I can finished everything by the due date tomorrow evening. I know the Lord is with me, and that He is giving me His grace to accomplish both assignments in the little time that I have to do them. He is able, more than able to handle anything that concerns me this day (Eph. 3:20)! Selah!

My great day today really started last night...

First, I had a great conversation with my team regarding our research project. This is a major applied research study that satisfies the requirements for one of our last research methods course. It is a team project, and the focus or topic is the role of religion in communication today. We have a super research idea, and the Lord has blessed us with vision and inspiration to undertake serious study. We are hopeful that the project will prove publication worthy. It would be a "feather in all our caps" so to speak to have a paper published in a scholarly journal. My colleagues are instructors like me so we need to take that next step into "professorship" with published articles. It is a challenge to get papers published, but worth the endeavor nevertheless. The Lord has a great plan for our project, of this I am certain, so I rest and let Him worry about the promotion. I focus on the tasks that He has assigned to me, and leave all the other details to Him. He is able, more than able...

Second, after our project meeting ended, I spent the rest of the night talking to my very best friend. We seem to do that often, talk for hours on the phone -- something I haven't done since I was in high school -- and even then, I don't really remember talking into the wee hours of the night. I am blessed to have a special friend to talk to, and we talk about everything and anything, which makes it all the more special. Rarely do you find a friend, a true friend, who is so compatible with you that you feel like you are meant to be together. I have found this person, well, we found each other, and through the Lord's blessing, we are sympatico (also simpatico) in everything. Sympatico means that we share a mutual understanding with sincerity and empathy. An extended definition is "The mutual understanding and support found in a good marriage. A deep level of similarity in vision and purpose." Even though we are not married, our deep level of vision and purpose is so similar, so compatible, that it makes our conversations uniquely paired. It is the most wonderful experience I have ever had, and in truth, I don't think I have ever experienced this type of communication with anyone before. It is exciting, it is wonderful, it is fulfilling, and it is mutually beneficial. It is a God-thing, for sure!

Last, as I drifted off to sleep last night (well, early this morning), my thoughts ran to the plans the Lord has for me. I cannot tell for certain what really happened, but I had this feeling overcome me that simply said to me "this is it, this is my will for your life." Yes, I have believed it previously, and I had articulated my feelings, suggesting, wishing, hoping, that the Lord really was giving me His blessing for a deeper, lasting -- life long -- relationship. I have been careful about saying it, choosing instead to "dance around the lines" and couch my words with "I hope so, I believe so, I long for it to be so," but after last night I came to the conclusion that my feelings and my heart are "smitten" and my words now shout out "it is so!" I believe now, with certainty, that the Lord has provided someone to me, a special wonderful someone, to be my head and my protector. I have felt that it is so for a long while, but I didn't want to let go my defense too soon. It has been almost 8 months, and I can say that I am more smitten, more enamored, and more in love today than I was in the beginning. Yes, I know that 8 months does not a lifetime relationship make, but then again I think that 30 years didn't do it either. No, I think that this is a God-thing, a blessed provision for my life that comes directly from the hand of the Lord. What's more is that this blessed friendship has sticking power, the kind that seems to come with spiritual bonding. I believe the Lord has taken two hearts and stitched them together. In doing so, He has called two people to walk together, to work together, and to spend their lives together -- not just for mutual benefit -- but for the Lord's will and His work. Yes, I believe that I have been called to be a part of my friend's life so that I can help develop whatever the Lord needs to be developed in and through his life. I believe that he has been called to do the same thing for me. I cannot really explain it other than to say that I have never been in a relationship whereby two hearts are so tightly knitted together, so directed and focused and determined on seeing the Lord's will come to pass in each other's life. It is exciting, and wonderful, and blessed. I am so very blessed!


It seems that the Lord has created a plan for my life that includes so much more than what I envisioned. I was so content, so happy, so pleased with the plans the Lord had for me. Never did I think that He might want me to do something different, go someplace different, and live in a different way. Yet, it seems that this is what He is intending to do or is doing in my life. I am absolutely committed to following Him, to seeking His will above all else, and to doing the "thing" that He needs me to do for Him, for His church, and for His kingdom. My heart is soaring today because the Lord has made it clear to me, so clear that I am certain of what will be, of where the next steps will take me. My life is good, so very good, and I am excited to see what the Lord has in mind for me. Today, I feel like I can accomplish anything. I am determined, I am focused, and I am submitted and yielded to the Lord for His grace, His goodness, and His glory. Amen, thy will be done, so be it. Selah!

No comments: