November 27, 2015

Happy Day After...

Yeah, it is that "day after the day" we give thanks. Here in America, it is called "Black Friday," supposedly the busiest shopping day of the year. People go crazy, lining up for hours, just to try to get some low price on something they just have to have this year. The funny thing is that the experts out there say that, historically, very few items are actually marked down far enough to make them be really good deals on this day. Most often, you can get a better price if you wait until closer to Christmas or if you purchase the item at certain times of the year when manufacturers are trying to push old product (like right before the Super Bowl). Yet, millions of people will venture out early today to engage in this shopping ritual. I prefer to sit at home, away from the "battle fray," and enjoy this day off as it was meant to be -- just a good day of rest. That is my plan, anyway. Here's to another restful Black Friday!


Today is a good day, a very good day. Not only am I well-rested, but I am also feeling good overall (physically), and that means that I must be getting enough rest. I know that I am relieved to have my major paper turned in on time, and I am relieved to be almost finished with my semester at Regent, GCU and ACU.

I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I am beginning to envision my next steps -- studying for and passing my exams, writing my dissertation, graduating with my PhD. I am so excited for these next steps in my life. I have worked very hard for the past five years, and I am so close to being done, finally PHinisheD (as my friend likes to say). I am not sure what the Lord has planned for me next, though I am thinking of post-doctoral study in Rhetoric at some point in time. For now, though, I have to concentrate on these last big events, pushing through to the finish line, and graduating with the BIG DEGREE. It is right there....right there, and I can envision and imagine it happening. I am so excited to be in this place, to finally be at the end of my courses. I cannot tell you how I have dreamed about this experience, how I have wanted to get my doctorate, and how I thought it would never be possible. But, as I have learned time and again...nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37).

Yes, this is true. All things are possible when God is in control, when He is the author and finisher of our faith. With God, nothing is impossible for Him to accomplish. The key, of course, is that what is possible must be of His desire, His design, and His doing. God must be at the start and the finish, and He must be the agent in the middle, the One who brings all things to pass.

In my doctoral course work, in specific, I have seen the Lord's handiwork, His desires and design, all work together for my good. He orchestrated the classes, picked the topics for me to explore, and when it came right down to it, He helped me, inspired me to write my papers. He made it possible for me to excel in this program, to achieve all that I have achieved, and really, to get me to this place, this very good place where I am about ready to FINISH! I give Him all the praise, the honor, and the glory, for without His abilities, His amazing power, I would be nowhere, nothing, and not even able to do anything of value to further His kingdom plans. He is worthy, He is good, and I give Him all the praise and adoration this good, this very good day. Selah!


So what are my plans for this good day? Well, I guess I should get moving, that is for sure. It is 12:30 p.m. and I am still sitting here in my PJs. I need to tackle some school work today (posts), and I may go ahead and start decorating the house for Christmas. My Mom is not feeling well today, so I am not sure what really needs to be done. I am thinking we will take it easy, perhaps just enjoy this good day, and then maybe have a quiet night in.

I am thinking about my love, who is spending this day in his home, and I am so wishing we could be together. I am so thankful for this wonderful, Godly, caring and supportive man. God has blessed me with a perfect companion, someone who compliments me so well. I think about him, and I smile. I really smile. He makes me laugh, and he helps me to be a better Christian, a Godly woman, and for that I am so very grateful. God knew what He was doing when He brought us together -- in such a carefree and happenstance way. I mean, neither of us where "looking" for a relationship, and neither of us were doing anything at all about it. We just found each other on the Internet, casually, first through my blog, and then later through Facebook. God had a plan in mind, and over time, we clicked, connected, and have become very close companions. It is a sweet and wonderful thing, and I am so hopeful that in time, in short order, we will be together (in person) and be able to plan out our life together. It is hard to believe that we have known each other as close friends for a year and a half now. It seems like it has been this way forever. I mean, I feel like I have known this man my entire life, and I am so comfortable with him that we can talk, joke about anything, and we can enjoy our time together as the Lord provides. I mean, we spend a great deal of time talking on the phone or over video chat. I think we have talked for 3-6, sometimes even 7 or 8 hours at a stretch. I have never talked with anyone for that length of time, but we just get into this groove, and we start talking, and we cannot stop. Sigh.

As I think about my life, about all the blessings God has brought to me, I am thankful for my friend, the man with whom I have come to share a large portion of my life, and I think to myself "How much more can you bless me, Lord? Have you not given me enough?" I would say that He has indeed blessed me beyond measure. He has surely given me everything I need to be happy and content in Him alone. He is good, He is God, and I am so blessed by His presence, His patience, and His perfect plan for my life. Selah!


No comments: