June 2, 2016

The State of Affairs

It is Thursday, and I am feeling a little bit punky. Yes, I am feeling a little bit blue and somewhat down in the dumps. I don't know why, but I woke up with this feeling like my little world is spinning a bit too fast for me today. I had a good night, no dreams (yea!) Still, I am feeling as if I have done something to set my world on edge, bumped it off-kilter, so to speak. I don't know what I may have done because I am pretty much at a stand still these days. Yes, my forward progress has been halted, and I am "stuck" in neutral for a time. Why? I am not sure, so not sure.

Jeremiah 29:11 reminds me, "'For I know the plans and thoughts that I have for you,' says the Lord, 'plans for peace and well-being and not for disaster to give you a future and a hope.'" I hear these words echo in my head this morning, and I wonder about it. I know the Lord does have a good life planned for me. I know that my life is blessed (every day, with every breath, I live in peace, in goodness, and in harmony). Still, I struggle to understand why I feel the way I do. I know that feelings are rarely true indicators of reality. Often, our emotions get winded up by other people or sticky situations and we lose our grounding. We can be lead astray easily simply when we give ear to others who are less informed or who are preaching another doctrine (false). This is why the Word is very clear on this matter. Jeremiah spoke of it in chapter 27, verse 9, when he said,

And as for you, do not listen to your [counterfeit] prophets, your diviners, your dreams and dreamers, your soothsayers or your sorcerers, who say to you, ‘You will not serve the king of Babylon.’

Counterfeit prophets were all the rage in Israel when Jeremiah talked about them. Of course, the problem was prophets who said they spoke the words of God, and who were telling people that God said this or that or wanted them to worship an idol. When we read these words, we tend to think that this type of behavior is nonexistent in our world today. I mean, we don't have people saying "bow down to me and worship me" so there is nothing to worry about, right?

I've been thinking about false prophets lately and how the enemy has become more deceptive by using ideology and worldview thinking to confound the people. I mean, while we don't have the same level of idol worship that we had thousands of years ago, we still do have "idolatry" all around us. Take for instance the level of hero worship or celebrity status and how people rally around an animal (Hamarabe, the gorilla that was killed to save the life of the little boy) or a superstar (Caitlyn Jenner). The mass appeal is seen on social media, in the news, and even around the "water cooler" in every day conversation. One wonders if we are living in prehistoric times or if the world has simply turned upside down.

Lately, I have felt the pull to leave social media behind. I am active on Facebook mostly, but I also use Pinterest regularly. What I see on social media disturbs me, and while I read a lot of articles linked there, so much of what I see is plain garbage. It is false doctrine, falsehood (lies and deceit), and libel. Why do I even want to follow this stream of garbage daily?

The Lord has been using me to see how often and easily we get sucked into social media, and how social media often colors or shadows our understanding of reality. Christians need to beware because the propensity to listen to false doctrine cleverly cloaked in spiritualism is rampant. I see good people posting quotes and images with quotes that are circumspect and that sound very "spiritual" yet are filled with worldview ideology that doesn't align with the Word of God. I see people agree, say "Amen," to things that have nothing to do with the worship of God, but have everything to do with the worship of man. This bothers me greatly. I see so many people who no longer think clearly, logically, and who understand how important it is to "check" every source, every so-called authority, before they accept truth.

My prayer today is to be used by God as a prophet, as one who speaks the Word of Truth. I don't intend to lead people anywhere but to the throne of God, and to His marvelous grace. It is time that His people start to stand for the truth, not just with their words, but with their actions. We need to be His ambassadors, and we need to begin to stand for righteousness, goodness, and morality. We just need to stop bashing people with the Bible and start loving them in truth, with His Word, and with His deep mercy and compassion. We need to love people to Jesus, not argue them into the Kingdom of God.


Good News

So this morning started all punky, but quickly turned itself around. I forgot I had a hair appointment scheduled for 11 am this morning. My normal routine was kicked out of sequence, and I didn't get to have my usual peaceful and quiet wake up time. Still, it was a good day overall.

As I was on my way to my stylist's shop, I received a call from GCU asking me if I wanted to teach a summer dual enrollment class. The class begins on Tuesday, and while I am unprepared for a three-day, three hour class, it will be so good to have some income coming in over the summer. The class should run 7-weeks and end right at the time my class at OCU begins. I will be busy, but God has provided some good income producing work for me. I am blessed, so very blessed.

No comments: