July 15, 2016

Praise God!

It is a beautiful Friday here in sunny and hot Phoenix! Yes, there is still no hint of rain on the horizon, and for all intents and purposes, this means that we will suffer another dry monsoon season. Sigh! O, Lord, please bring the rains to us soon?

Nevertheless, I will give Him praise for the sunshine and the heat, even if it is a bit oppressive at times. He is good, and He is gracious toward us. His word says in Psalm 135:7 (NIV), "He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth; he sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses." Yes, it is the Lord who sends showers to feed the earth, and it is the Lord who makes the clouds rise and the sun set.

He is good, so very good to us! Selah!


Praise Report Today

So, after passing another weird dream-filled night, I awoke to potential good news. My body rested well last night, but my mind was not at peace. I had more strange dreams, and I slept hard as I tossed and turned from about 4:00 a.m. onward. I don't remember my dreams, other than they were strange like the ones I have had the past few weeks. Just bits and pieces with lots of images that seemed random at best. Some of what I have interpreted is typical -- reminders of my changed status (single, not married) -- and that my life is in transition. It seems my dreams always take me back to when my life last made sense and that was when I was married. These dreams seem to be normal in scope, but they always have an element to them that is not right, like different or out of the ordinary. This is the part that tells me that I cannot go back to the past. My former life is no longer viable, it is no longer a reality. I guess I go back to that life in my dreams when I feel depressed, anxious, or worried. That life may not have been perfect, but it was a life I knew well. There is comfort in going home, so to speak.

Anyway, after I woke up this morning, I checked my phone for email. I had two newsworthy emails. The first was from ASU regarding the online teaching position I applied for recently. The email advised me that this position was being withdrawn without hire. I was invited to apply for a campus position for fall. The second email was from Regent University. It was from the Chair of the English and Communications department asking if I was available to teach this fall. I was over the moon with excitement at the thought of teaching at my soon-to-be alma mater.

After a quick prayer, I replied to both emails. The ASU position is least desirable since it requires commuting and a heavy course load. The Regent position was a gift from the Lord, so of course, I knew I would take that one in a heart beat. I was contacted by the Chair of the department, spoke with him briefly on the phone, and "presto!" I was hired to teach adjunct beginning this fall. God is so good to me, so very good to me.

This means that for my fall teaching contracts, I will have 5 or 6, depending on student enrollment. I should be able to make ends meet through December, so I can rest easy. Furthermore, as Regent continues to grow, it looks like I can continue to teach there ongoing as need arises. I am blessed, so blessed. My life is starting to take a turn upwards so I am feeling more and more confident that I am right where the Lord wants me for the season in my life. He has made a way for me to teach online at two schools and on campus at two schools. It is not a perfect fit, longterm, but for now it is good. I can handle it. He will help me, of course, and as far as my dissertation is concerned, I feel more confident that I will finish on time and graduate next May.

Sigh of relief - Praise God - He is Good!


In Closing

This is a short blog post because I need to prep for a call I am having with a colleague and mentor at OCU in about an hour's time. I am resting in His provision this good, good day. I am trusting Him to provide for me. I am thanking Him for His goodness and His mercy. I may not understand the plans the Lord has for my life, but I can take comfort in knowing that they are good, so very good (Jer. 29:11). He is good, so very good to me. Selah!

No comments: