August 5, 2016

Health and Fitness, Update

So, all my efforts to lose weight have been a bust thus far. I lost a total of 4 pounds on Weight Watchers Points and Atkins (combined), but I gained almost all of it back. I have lost some inches, though. My weight is holding at 165, which is 20 pounds heavier than I should be for my height and frame. It just doesn't seem to matter. I cut calories as they say -- drop 500 calories -- and lose a pound a week. Okay, so I have done just that and I did lose about a pound per week. However, it all came back on without me doing much of anything.

I read an article online that said that your fat cells are smart. Once they give up their fat storage, they will replace the fat loss with water. This is why it is really important to drink a lot of water. It takes time for your fat cells to stop hoarding water. I am guessing that this is what has happened to me. I am down about an inch from my hips and about 1/2 inch on my thighs. My waist is about the same. But, I do feel a bit smaller.

My analysis says this to me -- this process is not going to be easy for me. At 53, almost 54 years of age, the weight gain is not going to go away without a fight. I am also going to have to look at this as a long-term process and not a "quickly drop" anything approach. I want so much to be back in my size 6 jeans. This is just not going to happen. It may never happen, and that is something I have to accept. I can approach this task as "fit into those pants" or as "do this for your health," but either way, I have to accept that this is a battle, and this battle is going to be hard won.

With that said, I have decided to stick with Points versus Atkins. I switched back to Atkins because I thought I could boost my loss up a bit. It did work. I lost 2 pounds. But, then I started to get constipated, and I started to loath eating eggs. The thought of no bread, no pasta, no treats, sent me into crave mode and I indulged. Yes, I treated myself to everything I could find.

Okay, so I know I eat for reasons other than hunger. I know I emotionally indulge. I crave foods, good foods, creamy delightful foods. Yet, I also enjoy fiber rich foods too. I guess I am just not willing to settle for eating no carbs or low carbs for life. Sigh.

Anyway, my plan is to stick to Weight Watchers Points for longer than two weeks. I have to give it a thorough test, and that means at least 10-12 weeks. When I did the program before, I was on it for 10 weeks (with sessions), and about 25 weeks hard core. I lost close to 25 pounds, and then another 10 came off around the 9-10 month of eating lightly.

Goal is back in check, and I am going to stick to this plan through the end of the semester. That is a full-on 16 weeks. Plus, since I am starting today, that gives me 18 weeks. In 18 weeks, I hope to lose anywhere between 9-18 pounds (1/2 to 1 pound per week). I am also going to see if I flush my system with water, I can get those stubborn fat cells to give up their shape. We will see...

No comments: