January 16, 2017

Making Progress Despite Illness

It is a good Monday morning. Today, is MLK holiday, so I am at home (PTL!) I have quite a bit of work on my plate, but I am confident that I will be able to get everything finished that needs finishing this good, good day. I am struggling with some virus, however. I woke up in the middle of the night with a bodacious sore throat. I was able to finally swallow freely after I downed a bottle of water and then sucked on a throat lozenge. I woke up feeling better, so right now, I am thanking the Lord for His provision of rest and sleep (and good Ricola lozenges!)

In other news, I am getting settled into my role as online instructor at my two schools. So far, the experience has been good. I am a bit overwhelmed with the grading responsibilities, but I feel confident that the Lord has me well-covered. I am feeling better too about the overall emphasis on writing, and how the process determines the outcome. I still tend to teach product writing, but I am starting to see the benefit of process writing. Hopefully, as time goes on, I will continue to improve my instructional technique, and I will be able to gain even more confidence when it comes to teaching writing.

As I reflect on the writing process today, I realize that I am a product of that process. As a struggling writer, I often found it difficult to focus and to understand what my teacher's wanted from me. Overtime, and by trial and error, I was able to improve, and now I consider myself to be a very strong writer. Still, I struggle to transfer my experience as a writer to my students, and as such, I often think they know more than they really do. I give my students far more credit than I should. I don't mean to put them down or demean them, but in truth, I consider them to be better writers than they really are, and in that way, I often err on the side of grace. I am less strict as I probably should be, but in the end, I look up and say, "Thank you, Lord." I know that I learned how to be a good writer by the very grace of God, and as such, I am tentative to not be gracious to my students.

In all, today is a good day. I have a lot on my plate, but I have also completed several major tasks. I took the outdoor lights down and I vacuumed and cleaned the inside of my car. I did some grading, and I completed some other minor to-do's for Regent and ASU. Thus, I am in this good place today.

Now, I need to turn my attention to my own writing, and I need to make good progress on my dissertation. God is good -- and He knows what I can and cannot accomplish today. I am resting in His abilities, and in His goodness this good, good, good day.

No comments: