March 25, 2017

A New Day / Fresh Start

It is a lovely morning here in sunny and warm, Phoenix. The skies are clear and the air is mildly cool. It is beautiful outside. I am enjoying my day, so far, despite the fact that I haven’t really gotten much work done. I did check on my students, and I have graded a bit, but I still have so much to do. I am determined to get it all finished, however. I am determined to be ready to start my Week 11 (out of 15 weeks) on Monday. Yes, I cannot believe I am saying it, but I have five more weeks of school left before it is SUMMER VACATION!! Praise be to God, it is almost vacation!!

I can tell that the weather is changing, and that summer, is just around the bend. I woke up with a major headache this morning. It has finally settled back some, but that was only after taking several Advil and getting in a steamy hot shower. The good news is that I am feeling better, so hooray! I will be ready to tackle my stack of papers very, very soon. In the mean time, I am about to head out to the store to get some things I need for my new diet program, which I started today. In all, I feel jazzed, ready, and so willing to make a fresh/new start on this good, good day.
Diet and Exercise, Again

As I was getting dressed the other morning, I made the decision to really begin my diet again. Like seriously, again. I know, I know, I know. I have blogged about my diet for months, but with the stress of dissertation and such, I really didn’t do anything to motivate myself to get into shape.

In fact, I gained weight. I have never had a weight problem before, but since 2001, I have been an emotional eater, and as such, the weight has simply packed on and not budged. I was able to lose 35 pounds in 2001. I kept that weight off for about five years, but then in 2006-09, with my marriage in failure mode and my ex-husband’s health crisis, I gained about 20 pounds back. I dropped 10 during the real crux of the crisis, but since that time (2010), I have yo-yoed up and down based on my emotional state.

I hate to say it, but after a divorce, completion of both a masters and doctoral program, I am 25 pounds heavier than I should be at my age (and based on my frame). The worst part is that I can feel it. I can feel how uncomfortable I am right now. Just yesterday, I sat at my desk feeling so full, so heavy. I hate that sluggish feeling, like I cannot move, breathe, or even do anything. UGH! What is worse, my clothes have started to feel tight on me. Normally, I can flex up and down a couple pounds without my clothes feeling tight. This past week, it was noticeable to me. I am over the “give” stage and now into the “I may have to buy a bigger size” stage. A-hem! I am not buying a bigger size, and that is all there is to the matter. Thus, I have made the decision this morning, that now that school is behind me, it is time to do something about this extra weight for once and for all.

The New Diet Revolution by Dr. Atkins

Today is a new day and a fresh start. I have accepted the fact that I am an emotional eater and that I eat for comfort or from boredom. I have made some changes to my diet already, mostly I have given up soda for lent (all diet), and I have replaced my drinks with water. More so, I have replaced my half-half, which I down in my coffee with heavy cream (trying it out today) because it has zero carbs. Furthermore, I have gone low-carb again. I am tracking my food with Atkins, but for the next 15 days, I am keeping my net carbs to less than 20 per day. This is to push my body into ketosis and cause it to begin to burn fat for fuel instead of sugar. I hope to drop 5-8 pounds over the first couple weeks. Afterwards, I will up my carbs each week or so by 5 until I find my sweet spot. I will continue to choose foods that are rich and dense in fiber, but low in carb count. The carbs I do eat will be the best quality carbs. Hopefully, after the first two-three weeks, I will remain steady and lose about a pound per week until I reach my goal weight.

For now, I am not exercising other than walking. After school gets out and I am free from work duties, I plan to get back into working out with Jillian Michaels. I have her DVDs, so I hope to build some muscle and cardio all the while I am firming and toning my body. It is a good plan, a reasonable plan, and in the end, I hope to shed the excess weight and maintain a healthy body.
Next Steps

I am struggling some today with doubt, but I believe that God has me well-covered. I am hoping that over the next couple weeks, as things clear for me, I will begin to feel more confident in these next steps. For one thing, I am thinking about the jobs I am currently contracted to do, and I am praying that all my works meets with His approval. My goal is to honor the Lord in everything I do, and to do that, I must obey Him, follow after Him, and listen (heed) His word and His advice to me. I trust Him, and in that regard, I rest in His abilities to provide for me. He knows me well. He loves me completely, and as such, I am safely kept in His sweet mercy and grace.

Today, I begin this new trek. I start off slowly, but I trust the Lord as He helps me to remember my goal — to lose this weight, to regain health, and to maintain vitality. I know the my flesh is weak, but the Spirit is strong. I will rely on His strength, His wisdom, and His approach to help me overcome and find blessed rest in all that I do. He is able to do this. It is His will, and therefore, I can relax and know that He will see me through, He will provide a way for me to go, and He will help me so I do not falter or stumble. He is good to me, so very good to me! Selah!

No comments: