March 13, 2017

The Day Has Arrived

I made it to Virginia yesterday in one piece. The trip was uneventful, except for two crying children in the seats next to me (the row across the aisle). It was painful to travel with their constant cries, but I tried very hard to give the Mom and her traveling companion grace. After all, they were going to FL, and how else can you travel with children under age 3? I mean, really, what could this Mom do but try to keep her little ones happy for 4 hours. It was a struggle for me simply because I had been up at 4 am, and then at the airport at 5. I was so exhausted (I still am), but thankfully, I made it safely. My bags arrived (woohoo), and I got a pretty fancy car to drive (a new Mazda 6 series). In all, it was a long, long day, and I was very glad to finally arrive at the lovely, Founders Inn and Spa, last night.

The Founders can be pricey, but my room rate is comparable to other nice hotels in the area. My room is in the main building, and frankly, it is small, but cosy. It took me a while to figure how to turn on the heat. It is chilly here -- in the mid 30s -- so last night as I was hunkered down in bed watching "Thor" on TV, I thought, "Something has to be amiss with the heat!" Finally, I figured out that the thermostat had been set to "cool" and not to "heat." It is warmer today, but not as warm as I would prefer. I am sitting here now wearing a complimentary robe from the spa. It is about 68-70 degrees in my room, but I am comfortable as I begin to prep for my defense later today.

I made the decision this morning to forgo breakfast at the Swan Terrace Grill. It is complimentary, but I don't want to give up my morning to eat anything. I brought granola bars from home, and with my in-room coffee maker, I am enjoying my hot (not so great) coffee and my peanut butter bar. I am still feeling the bends, so to speak. It is 9:17 a.m here, but my body thinks it is 6 at home. Sigh! I have a feeling that I will crash as soon as I get back to my room at 4 today.

I am feeling punchy, but I hope that after I get in the shower, this hazy feeling will go away. I am praying for my colleagues who are taking the Red Eye in tomorrow. Oh my goodness! With DST, it really messes up our internal clocks when we have to fly East.

Still, I am thankful to be here today. It is a lovely crisp mid-winter morning. When I arrived at Norfolk yesterday, I could tell it was chilly outside. However, it wasn't until I went to pick my car up that I felt that chill sink right into me. It was so cold! It wasn't like "Chicago-style" cold, but it was similar. I went outside and thought, "Ok, this is definitely chillier than I expected." It is a good thing that I bought a down jacket on sale at Kohl's on Saturday. I found a cute little puffer jacket on sale for $48 dollars. It is a little big on me, but I could only find four in the entire store. I took it, and I am so thankful I did. It was the perfect companion for travel. I was warm and comfy on the plane, and it is light enough to take the chill off without causing you to sweat under a heavier jacket. It wouldn't work for me say in Chicago (maybe in fall or late spring), but it works well in VA Beach.

BTW, it may snow tomorrow. The forecast calls for mix -- which is just rain or snow or some compliment thereof -- but it would be fun, just the same. There is a big Nor'easter hitting the New England states, and north of here, there is a solid chance of snow. However, out my way, more than likely, it will just be rain.

Well, this is all I have time to write now. I need to get ready for my day, read my chapters 4-5 so I am prepared for my conversation with my professors, and generally, relax some before my final dissertation defense. I am thanking the Lord for His mercy this good, good day. I prayed over my day today, and I realized that at this very moment, I am 100% dependent on Him for everything. I am worn out, so worn, that mentally, I think I can barely put two sentences together so they make sense. I am beat, physically, and I need to rest. I am emotionally settled -- thank you, Jesus -- but nonetheless -- I have this "I am finished" feeling in my mind and body. I am giving Him praise today. I am giving the Lord all the glory, for He alone is worthy of it. I am trusting Him for the outcome, and I am resting in His provision of grace, intelligence, and intellect. I am doing this work for His name and His praise. He has brought me through to this point in time, and it is up to Him to see me through to the very end. He is good to me, so very good to me.
Psalm 93

The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength;
indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.
Your throne was established long ago;
you are from all eternity.

The seas have lifted up, Lord,
the seas have lifted up their voice;
the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea—
the Lord on high is mighty.

Your statutes, Lord, stand firm;
holiness adorns your house
for endless days.

Finis.

No comments: